Hamibh: Running to Health

on Saturday, May 5, 2012


"For those who want to know, here's what I did/do:

I have lost around 60lb since April 2011 (236lb - 176lb)

I have used, in the following order:
Couch to 5K (podcast courtesy of the NHS website)
EA Sports Active 2 (PlayStation 3)
P90X

I participate in various running events to punctuate my progress (5K, 10K, Half Marathon).

I am particularly fond of baked potatoes, which provide a satisfying lunch or dinner while being very reasonable calorie-wise. Just stick it in the microwave for 15 minutes and it's done. You can leave out the butter, but in reality it doesn't make that much of a difference.

I have a Nike+ GPS SportWatch with heart rate monitor. This allows me to track running distance, see my routes mapped out and tracked online, and it can track calorie burn for cardio workouts other than running. Expensive, but money well spent since it lets me focus on simply getting the numbers right.

For what it's worth, I'm a fan of the Running Trax albums by Ministry of Sound. They are full of naff upbeat dance music that's perfect for running to, and each CD comes with a workout mix of lasting around 1 hour 20 minutes. Great for keeping up the momentum during a workout."
Source

Leave a Reply